Thursday, May 15, 2014

Poetry Assignment....American "Hero"

What makes a person a "hero"?  What kind of qualities does the person have?


View the movie "42" based on the story of Jackie Robinson.  Mr. Robinson helped break the color barrier of Major League Baseball in the late 1940's.  He endured discrimination and hatred on an unthinkable level.  To many, what he survived and how he conducted himself made him a hero.  To others, he was a "baseball" hero, regardless of color.

Think carefully about a character in US History that you would consider a hero...What did they do?  How did they conduct themselves?  What do you admire about them?
Examples could be (but are not limited to):  Abraham Lincoln, John Adams,  Martin Luther King, Frederick Douglass, Joe Lewis, FDR, Cesar Chavez, Jack Robinson, Sally Ride, pioneers, WWI soldiers, NYC firefighters, ...

Now, Choose one of the two poems below and create a tribute to the person you chose.


Biographic-Poetry

Purpose:  To show understanding of the emotions and senses of a historical character,  or in this case a historical “hero”. You may use your textbook or internet to study the person you are writing about. The poem should include pictures or symbols to enhance the meaning.
Poem 1:

NAME:

FOUR TRAITS:

RELATED TO:

WHO CARES DEEPLY ABOUT:

WHO FEELS:

WHO NEEDS:

WHO GIVES:

WHO FEARS:

WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

RESIDENT OF:

Or….Poem 2…  “I am” poem:

Using the template, complete the sentences.  Look at the various points of view of your subject.

I am…

I wonder…

I hear…

I see…

I am…

I pretend….

I feel….

I touch…

I worry…

I cry….

I am…

I understand…

I say…

I dream…

I try….

I hope…

I am…

No comments:

Post a Comment